DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dishwasher installer 30-40 years ago used a saddle fitting which allowed enough seepage to corrode to the point where the back half broke completely off. Luckily the hot water was off at the time. It was on 1/2” copper. I see that they are not code compliant so I want to cut out the segment with the hole and replace it with some sort of T. The line runs straight up from floor to kitchen sink. What are my options to install a fitting without disturbing the piping above or below if possible. Right now I put a slit piece of rubber hose over it with several hose clamps. Leaving HW turned off if I will be away any length of time at least until I’m confident in the temp repair.

Not that it matters much but it did not appear to be a self tapper. There must have been something that clamps over the line and gets drilled manually. And the valve was a separate item. It’s copper tubing there to the DW. Forgot the size but bigger than an ice maker line. I’m replacing the DW and when I undid the line at the DW with the shutoff closed it kept dripping so I turned off the HW by the water heater. When I started to investigate the shutoff, the highly corroded saddle fitting broke right off.

·
Registered
14,061 Posts
You can get saddle valve replacement kits in Compression or sharkbite types. Take out the plastic stops in the sharkbite and you can slide the tee up one side so that you don't have to pull the pipes apart too much. 10 min job.

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.