DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing a light switch with a dimmer. The ground wires in the box run through the box leaving no end exposed to attach ground from dimmer. Do I need to remove the box to get at the ground or are the wires grounded already?
Brown Door Amber Wood Gas

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
The ground may have just been stuck into the hole and can be pulled out. If not, you're probably ok without. The strap on the dimmer will ground it via the metal box and the ground wire touching it.

·
Licenced Electrician
1,960 Posts
You can see circular scuff marks around those screw holes when you zoom in so they look to be threaded. If so, add a ground screw and attach the ground wires properly and a ground pigtail if needed.

Where are the cable clamps?

·
Wanna Be
293 Posts
Where are the cable clamps?
Good eye. That wire looks like that stuff dipped in tar that falls apart when you touch it and might be shorting out on the edge of the box hole. I found some plastic clamps that can be added from inside the box and sit flush against the box to protect and secure the wire without having to open up the wall. I forget what they are called. Old work wire clamps?

·
Super Moderator
15,456 Posts
The clamp screw holes are tapped 10-32. A ground screw could be added to an unused hole.

The knockouts are too small for most cable clamps. Installing the original style clamps would be best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts