DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a kitchen floor that has very cold spots in certain areas and especially near the exterior wall. There is a crawlspace under this floor that I accessed and to no surprise I found certain areas had little to no insulation. The fiberglass rolls (paper on one side) in each joist area.

The previous owners remodeled the kitchen moving gas and water lines. I can only presume in the remodel, the insulation was never put back or restored correctly.

My plan was to simply replace similar insulation in those problem areas. However I wanted to make sure I am doing the right thing and not causing other problems.

The crawl space is relatively "conditioned" in that the heat ducts run underneath and even though it is below freezing outside, the crawlspace is somewhat warm. There is also one area that on the exterior wall where a water pipe runs and connects to a frost-proof outside spigot.

Is there a problem with adding insulation in the joist area that has the water pipe/spigot? Would I be keeping the warm air from keeping that pipe/spigot above freezing?

What is better.....fiberglass insulation in rolls simply tacked up into the joists, or should I consider foam boards?

Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I hope I explained well enough.

Thanks

·
Exterior Construction
26,614 Posts
Crawlspaces are either conditioned (i.e. purposefully) or not conditioned.

If you are unintentionally conditioning the space, you are also bringing in all of the soil cases and pollutants (as well as leaking a bunch of energy in a very inefficient manner) at the same time.

If you condition it, the floor needs to be covered and sealed and the stem wall needs the insulation. Then you blow air in there purposefully.

If you are going to leave it vented (i.e. unconditioned), you need to insulate the underside of the floor (rigid foam works well here), cover the floor and seal it, and seal all the duct work against and leaks and communication with the crawl.

·
Registered
37,177 Posts
Also needs to be air sealed. (nothing more then using spray foam to seal all the places where plumbing and wiring was run)
Rim joist need to be insulated with 2" foam and expanding foam to fill the gaps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts