DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing a 20 (?) year old frost free faucet. It's connected to some 1/2" translucent tubing labeled as PEX-A. The old faucet is soldered to a fitting and crimped. Can I just cut the tubing and use a Sharkbite push-fit to female adapter, or is that not appropriate for this type of tubing. If there is a better approach, please let me know. I will be installing an access panel in the wall so this can be dealt with more easily next time.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'm replacing a 20 (?) year old frost free faucet. It's connected to some 1/2" translucent tubing labeled as PEX-A. The old faucet is soldered to a fitting and crimped. Can I just cut the tubing and use a Sharkbite push-fit to female adapter, or is that not appropriate for this type of tubing. If there is a better approach, please let me know. I will be installing an access panel in the wall so this can be dealt with more easily next time.
View attachment 663407
Absolutely fine. Shark bites are awesome. I prefer not to use them when concealed behind a wall but in an open basement, go for it.

Be sure to use thread tape and I also apply a thin layer of pipe dope over the tape for extra security. And also make sure you push the sharkbite in completely. If it's actually sharkbite brand it will work on copper and pex. But knockoffs like Watts quicklock require a small piece of plastic to make the pex more rigid. I would just stick to sharkbite. They're a little more expensive but worth the peace of mind.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,973 Posts
I agree, sharkbyte is definitely the way to go in that situation. Nice job!. Never had any problems with them.

It beats burning the house down. lol. Wow! that's some serious scorch marks there.

Btw, welcome to the forums Stephen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.