DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a replacement motor for my armstrong hvac, the old motor has three wires and the new one has four. I was told that on the new motor I dint need to use the brown/white stripe wire and to just us same color to color, problem is now the thermostat doesnt have a display. What to do? Thanks Rick.

·
Administrator
41,860 Posts
Check to make sure the blower panel door is on right. Also make sure you didn't knock any other wires off while you were changing the blower motor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, Im still at a stand still. I have the old motor with three wires, (brn that went to the F on the cap, purple that went to the C on the cap, and the blk that went to a board). The new motor has four wires brn, brn/wht, yellow, blk. My cap has three poles/heads. What goes where, I thought this would be pretty easy, I dont know if im just getting to upset and not thinking it through all the way or just dumb. The guy at Locks where I bought the new motor said "tape the brn/wht, and hook blk to blk, brn to brn, and purple would be yellow?" Thanks for all the help. Rick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
And when taking the wires to the capacitor, where do the wires go. I think that F is fan, C is condenser, what is the other thermostat?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have two tab on the F/C/Herm side of the cap, does it matter which one you hook it to? I know you cant hook your common to your fan, but if you have two for your fan like brn and brn/white.

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
5,884 Posts
If you have two tab on the F/C/Herm side of the cap, does it matter which one you hook it to? I know you cant hook your common to your fan, but if you have two for your fan like brn and brn/white.

Are you using only a new single run cap for the new motor which would look like this

or are you going back to the original dual run capacitor which looks like this

or oval such as

?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
What software did you use to make this schematic?

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
5,884 Posts
What software did you use to make this schematic?

I used google image dual run capacitor software. :)

I clicked on that image to get to the "full size image" link which I clicked on and it took me to photobucket where it was originally posted.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I used google image dual run capacitor software. :)

I clicked on that image to get to the "full size image" link which I clicked on and it took me to photobucket where it was originally posted.

LOL :thumbup:

·
Administrator
41,860 Posts
Best to also replace the dual run capacitor. Also, wire nut and tape off th brn with white stripe wire.

If teh motor runs in the wrong rotation, just reverse the 2 wires from the motor on the capacitor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah the motor has two wires connected that is for the rotation that plug into each other right off the motor. Its a smith motor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts