DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I have some small triangular sections of 1/2" thick carpet padding that were removed due to recent water damage. It seems relatively straightforward to DIY the replacement as they sell 6x9' 1/2" rolls at Lowes which seems like it would get the job done. I had a few questions though

1) Am I going to want to glue the padding down to the cement subfloor? If so, what adhesive should I use? Do I need a carpet/padding specific adhesive or can I use something else like silicone/caulk?

2) Should I use duct tape to join the seams where the new carpet padding meets the existing?

3) Once the padding is in place, do I really need to stretch the carpet back (using a knee kick, which I don't have and would rather not buy/rent/borrow if I don't have to)? From the looks of it, the carpet is right up against the wall still, and I'm able to press it back into the tack-strip as-is. The carpet is at least 10 years old but is in fairly decent condition considering its age. However, it certainly hasn't 'shrunk' back or anything so much as to expose the sub-flooring or tack-strip.

4) Should I get the carpet done *before* having the baseboard nailed in?

TIA!

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,191 Posts
If you are not going to kick in the carpet, just duct tape the pad seams and don't worry about gluing the pad to the concrete.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are not going to kick in the carpet, just duct tape the pad seams and don't worry about gluing the pad to the concrete.
This is exactly what I ended up doing. The carpet fell right back into place without really needing to be stretched in this case. Pretty straightforward and easy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts