DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to replace my Braeburn 3200 Thermostat with a Hunter model I picked up at wally world, but the wiring is throwing me off. The Braeburn had R(red wire) Y1(yellow wire) W2(white wire) G(green wire) O(orange wire) and C(blue wire) I know I don't need the blue, since the hunter is battery powered but it has G(Fan relay) W(Heat relay) Y(Cool contactor) Rh(Heat 24v or Heat/Cool 24v) Rc(jumpered or Cool 24v)

What do I need to do?

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
5,884 Posts
You get another stat with an O which is the reversing valve on a heat pump. Doesn't appear that this new one is meant for heat pump if it doesn't have that terminal.

As for the R (red wire) which is 24 volts, either of the two R's, as long as there is a jumper between them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Doc. I was afraid of that. It does sound like I got it wired right then for what I had. The only wire left disconnected was the Orange one, which could explain why the outside unit never kicked on but the fan did. Unfortunately within half an hour this unit burnt out too so I fear a short in the system which may be out of my comfort zone as a DIYer with HVAC. :cry:

·
Mad Scientist
951 Posts
If it's burning out thermostats, you should at least check the voltage between the R and W wires. Should be about 24VAC. Sometimes the transformers develop a short which results in the output voltage being higher than it should.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It turns out all the wiring in my unit was charred. Possibly a power surge or a lightening strike. It's all being replaced now, thanks for the help though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts