DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently discovered our kitchen drain is delivering our sink and dishwater water right into our crawl space (photo 1-3). The cast iron pipe that has corroded and broken off is also detached 14 feet later at the connection with the drain pipe (photo 3).

I've handled basic plumbing before in the kitchen and bathrooms, but this is a new and more intimidating endeavor. Right now I'm thinking I could cut square the cast iron kitchen pipe in photo #1 with a recip saw and connect it to a 2" Sch40 pvc pipe using shielded no-hub coupling. Then I can connect the other end of the new pvc pipe to the main pvc pipe drain using a standard 2" PVC coupling. What do y'all think?

Thanks!

-MK

Attachments

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
If the cast on hasn't moved you could use couplings for a quick repair . Depending on your location , this might not be the most pleasant weather to spend hours on the cold ground doing a complete tear-out .

Is the straight end of the Y a vent ? Why does it look like it's heading outside (foam sealant )?

What is your location ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you may as well get ride of the rest of the cast iron, doesnt look in the best of shape and go all pvc..
OK. Can you give me an outline of the steps I should take to do so, and anything I especially need to watch out for? My inexperienced brain tells me that I would find a wye piece the same size as the current cast iron one, and that I could simply cut out the cast iron where it meets the pvc and cement the new pvcs together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the cast on hasn't moved you could use couplings for a quick repair . Depending on your location , this might not be the most pleasant weather to spend hours on the cold ground doing a complete tear-out .

Is the straight end of the Y a vent ? Why does it look like it's heading outside (foam sealant )?

What is your location ?
I'm in Texas. Weather is nice right now.

Yes, the straight end of the Y is a vent to the exterior. I'm confused because a couple of years ago a plumber discovered and replaced a foot-long portion a deteriorating cast iron pipe leading up from the kitchen drainpipe. We thought that pipe was a vent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like replacing all the cast iron is he way to go.

What I'm having trouble imagining is this...Let's say I cut off the CI and start at the pvc coming down from the kitchen drain. After I 1) connect another pipe to the kitchen drainpipe with a coupling to extend its length, 2) connect the Y to that pipe, 3) connect a pipe to the Y to go outside the house, and 4) connect a long pipe to the Y to go to the main drainpipe, how do I make the final connection between the long pipe and the main drainpipe? I don't know how I'd get a coupling on there since I wouldn't be able to push the pipes apart to make a gap and them pull them back towards one another to fit in a coupling.

Also, the pipe that leads outside the house extending back from the Y, is that for drainage in case of blockage further down the drain?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You slip the coupling on one pipe all the way. Then when the pipes are aligned you slide the coupling half onto the other pipe.
OK, so I would put primer on the outside of the pipes and inside of the coupling, let dry, slip the coupling over one pipe, swab glue onto the pipes, and lastly slip the coupling in place?

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
You only need 1" of movement in the pipes to glue on the coupling- you should be able to flex the line enough for that

Reactions: ben's plumbing

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
they make slip couplings that dont have the ridge in the middle of the coupling..prime both the pipe and coupling, and then use plenty of glue and coat both the pipe and coupling and quickly slide the coupling on the pipe, line up the 2 ends of the pipe and slip the coupling into place, wear gloves to keep the glue off your hands, and wipe the pipe clean with a rag , of any dripping glue..or you could use a nohub clamp...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.