DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm replacing breakers in panel. There were a few double pole single throw breakers that I'm replacing with a few 20a and 15a tandem/mini breakers (2 breakers that occupy one slot).

Any limitation on how many breakers can be put into the 200a panel?

Any other things I should consider?

·
Naildriver
10,582 Posts
Look on the panel door placard. It will tell you how many smaller breakers you can use and where they are allowed to be placed. The two breakers that occupy one slot won't provide you with the 240 volts that the standard sized double breaker will since they both land on the same buss bar. What is it you are attempting to do?

·
Very Stable Genius
4,163 Posts
Anything on a double pole should only be moved to another double pole.
Depending on the panel type there may be quads available. These usually
have either a double and two singles, or two doubles.
A two position tandem is not a replacement for a double pole.
Like mentioned above, read the labels for bus loading limits. Watch for bus
stab limits as well as any overall limits.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,804 Posts
GE has tandem breakers that bridge 2 slots and can provide 240. Need to know the make/model of the posters panel.

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk

Reactions: hoptimus

·
Super Moderator
20,886 Posts
Double pole breakers can be part of a circuit that uses a shared neutral. If you replace them with tandem breakers the neutral will be overloaded. You must have 240 volts between the two hot lines for the circuit to operate properly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
20,886 Posts
I am concerned about the red wire at the bottom right that appears to be on a tandem breaker. That could be a problem if the voltage to the corresponding black is not 240 volts.
I can't see it clear enough to know exactly where it is connected.
The grey wires in the yellow nut have bit too much copper exposed for my liking.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
I got 2 concerns with the yellow wire nut.
1) Ditto on the bare copper below the skirt.
2) it appears that it might have 5 wires in it. If it’s an Ideal wire nut(#74B), it’s rated for four #14.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Appreciate your quick responses. The black wires were a temporary connect. Yes i agree it was fine properly at the time. Those wires were tied into breakers last night. Sorry I don't have an updated pic. The Red wire was from a baseboard heater that was removed. It is no longer connected to panel I believe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2 questions I have are do I have too many tandem breakers in the panel? Got a total of 25 possible connects on left side and 30 on right. Also I want to ensure that the spots I have then in support them. Does the posted panel spec indicate such things?

·
Licensed electrician
13,381 Posts
Check the panel label and post the model number .

·
Licensed electrician
13,381 Posts
The label shows you can have up to 80 circuits in the panel if you use 40 tandems .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts