DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New DIYer here, on the last room of a loooong renovation.
I have torn my bathroom down to the studs. My original plan was to sledge hammer out the old tub and install a new one. However, the room is 60 1/2 inches wide. Is there a way to get a 60 inch tub in there?
Seems like if I stand it on end there will not be enough room to lower it.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
If the tub you have now is 60", then the new 60" tub will fit.
Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The existing tub is 60. I just don't understand how they got it in there. I wonder if it was prior to all the framing being in place.
Obviously if I stand it on end in place and try to lower it it will contact the walls before it makes it all the way down. I have thought of trying to hold it flat in the middle of the room and spinning it. With the sheetrock off maybe the corners will clear in that space.
I like the idea of making a mockup, I am just lazy:huh:.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
You install the tub after the framing is done, but before the wall material is up. The tub is brought into the room standing up. You place the tub, still standing, near the drain side and tilt it downward toward the opposite wall. As it's tilted, one person edges it to the drain side as the clearance increases on that side and one person carefully lowers it on the other side aiming the legs between the studs. Once it's down, slide it to the back of the wall.
This can be done by a single person if they have a sense of space, but for first timers, two people are better.
Do not get your fingers caught between the tub and the studs. Or drop the tub on your foot.
Cast iron tubs are a bit of a challange, acrylic tubs are a breeze.
Put something under the tub corner so you don't chip the porcelain.
Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the detailed reply, Ron. I did not want to bust the tub up until I was sure a new one would fit.
I did want to make it clear that while the drywall is off in the bath, it is still attached to the other side of the stud in the adjoining room.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts