DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
First of all, were I you, I would pull that toilet and get it out of the way. I would then pull out the tub, and replace the entire bathroom floor with a good grade of 23/32" plywood, with all edges blocked. I would then cover the wood with an SBS peel and stick material, and turn it up the wall about three inches. Your tub looks to be in pretty good condition, and I understand they have a spray on refinishing material nowadays that is pretty good. You would then install floor tile as you wish with cement backer board and thinset or a wet-set.

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
$4500 sounds more realistic to me in todays economy. Its up to you whether you can remodel now or have to wait. If I could slide a new floor a couple of inches under the side of the tub, and get some secondary waterproofing under there, I might try it. Depending on sealant on a joint that will be moving is risky.

Good luck to you. I could really not tell re the picture of the joist, but if they just wet but still sound (no dryrot) they will be fine. Stick an ice pick in them and see.

Reactions: Klawman

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
I personally would not even think about taking out a permit for something like a tub repair or replacement. The reason is that I am pretty darn sure that I have forgotten more than most of the people that the local yokels hire to do inspections. I'm sure there are some good ones but there aren't any where I live so the appointment must be political. Any county that allows the installation of vinyl siding right over sheathing without any secondary moisture protection does not know squat, but that's what they do where I live.

I guess people that know nothing from nothing about building trades need inspectors. To me, all they are is a way for another bureaucracy to increase your taxes, and stick their noses in your business.

Sorry, Im off my soap box now.

Your tub appears to be in good condition. I personally do not see how you are going to find anything comparable in quality made out of plastic. It just is not going to happen. So the problem is getting some flooring under the long side of the tub, and keeping water from going down through the joint that will be created there.

One thing that might really work well is adhering a strip of white vinyl base molding along the bottom of the tub, fully embedded in white silicone sealant. Clean the tub and tile floor well with alcohol before setting, and tool with a spatula.

Make sure you install a good inner shower curtain with magnetic buttons on it and read everyone the riot act about how to drape the curtain during showers, especially teenagers. They seem to lose their ability to think or give a crap between 13 and 19. Speaks volumes about the quality our high schools today.

Reactions: Larryh86GT
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.