DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, took out a bad heater/fan/light fixture and installing a new one. the old one was a major pain to remove and in the process, i can't remember how they had it wired. there are 3 switches but only 2 12/2 wires going to the fixture. The instructions talk about a red wire that I don't have. I have put a tester to the wires and that only accounts for 2 of the switches (heater#1 and the fan#2) am I over thinking this? How do I get the light to work too?

·
Banned
3,456 Posts
The original install cheated. You need a meter or tester to determine which white wire is your neutral, the remaining white and 2 blacks will be your 3 switched legs. Ideally, and to comply with code, you should have a 12/2 and a 12/3 as shown on your new unit's schematic.

·
Registered
10,718 Posts
The model 655 is a noisey fan. The 4.0 sone rating disqualifies it in my mind, particularly when it is only 70 CFM.

Unless budget was your driving factor, I would suggest taking it back and selecting a quieter unit.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The original install cheated. You need a meter or tester to determine which white wire is your neutral, the remaining white and 2 blacks will be your 3 switched legs. Ideally, and to comply with code, you should have a 12/2 and a 12/3 as shown on your new unit's schematic.
You need two 12/2 cables. What works even better is a length of 12/2/2 wire (4 insulated conductors plus a bare ground). You need three hot wires, and you can re-mark the red/white wire with a blue sharpie.

Also, this unit need to be entirely on a separate 20-amp circuit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.