DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm replacing my 4x4 posts with 6x6's and 20' beam on my 10x20 deck. I am looking for any advice on the BEST way to do this? I will be utilizing 12" diameter footings/forms that will be below frostline. Beam will be 2 2x10." I'm looking for advise on how to install the beam and posts without any lag/sag from the weight. I will attach a picture.

I am planning on putting everything in place and then removing the original 4x4's. I would like to do this without any loss of support, or sag.

another question is weather it's neccessary to use 3 or 4 6x6 posts? and beam sandwiched or notched to eliminate sag?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

tony

Attachments

·
Not so new
969 Posts
Appears to be at least 2x8 framing. Is it level now? Pour footings, add post bases, measure for post to bottom of joists and cut out a 3x9 1/2 notch in 6x6. Add 2x10 beam. Once all snug under existing framing, cut out 4x4. But you are'nt done yet. Seems like a new railing would be in order as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
12penny,
one more? Where would you recommend 3x 6x6 posts? I was going to have one dead smack in the center and then 8ft on either side? Please let me know your recommendation.

Tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure about the code requirements in your township, but you can usually have a 2' cantilever. If so, measure back from the front of your deck 26 3/4" and this would be the center line for your 6x6's. Looks like you can use 3 6x6's across, and continue with what 12penny posted with the 3"x9 1/2" notch, double your 2"x10" beam and through bolt it. The cantilever would also allow you to leave all of the 4"x4"s in place while you rebuild.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
given the height, you might consider some sway bars or whatever they're called.

in my neck of the woods... you can span 10' with two 2x10 on outer beams, which is considering snow load. but for decks, i always like to exceed code. one day there will be a lot of people on that thing and you don't want it to fail... so if i were you, I would use minimum 4 posts.

Knucklez

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all

I'd like to thank you all for your advice and input. I look forward to future projects knowing that there is experienced help out there!

Sincerely,

Tony M.

·
Not so new
969 Posts
tojo...if you cantilever your floor joists say 2' you would end up with a joist span of 8'. Max beam span would be 10'3". I dont see a problem with three posts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts