DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my house was built in 88/89 and I am installing a Ring Pro. Unfortunately, my doorbell transformer is underpowered and needs to be replaced. The transformer that I purchased has 3 wires (black, white, green). Currently, the old transformer has 2 wires (both black). I currently have my new transformer connected this way...black to black and both green and white to the bare copper wire. My doorbell works fine, but I wanted to see if I should connect it a different way. I have included a picture of the wiring with the old transformer.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
retired framer
44,484 Posts
The black you have to ground should go to the white (neutral) wire. What you have will work but going to ground like that is wrong. green goes to ground

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The black you have to ground should go to the white (neutral) wire. What you have will work but going to ground like that is wrong. green goes to ground

Thanks for replying! The picture that I attached is how it looked before I installed the new transformer. The current transformer has 3 wires (black, white and green). Currently, I have black to black and white and green both to the bare copper wire. The white wire that you see is going to the light fixture.

·
retired framer
44,484 Posts
Thanks for replying! The picture that I attached is how it looked before I installed the new transformer. The current transformer has 3 wires (black, white and green). Currently, I have black to black and white and green both to the bare copper wire. The white wire that you see is going to the light fixture.
Green to the bear copper wire, white to white black to black.
If the light has 2 screws for the white you can go to that extra screw.
If not you need a pigtail so you can join the two whites and have short wire that goes to the light. . The old one was wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the worst case scenario if I leave as is for a couple of days? The circuit is already back on and the Ring Pro is functioning.

Thank you!

·
retired framer
44,484 Posts
What's the worst case scenario if I leave as is for a couple of days? The circuit is already back on and the Ring Pro is functioning.

Thank you!
I am sure the electricians will be along to tell you how bad it is. I won't tell anyone. :wink2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts