DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have a Bryant Evolution 986T furnace with a basic Aprilaire 8463 thermostat with the thermometer stuck at 71 degrees

only heating no A/C unit. there is a basic fan, I think only one speed.

what is the best replacement I can get at home depot?

I am leaving he country soon and want something installed for the winter.

If I can find a Bryant thermostat I would consider.

·
Registered
16,562 Posts
A generic honeywell thermostat will work just fine.

2-stage thermostat set up to control the furnace's low and high heat (instead of the furnace internally using a timer to decide when to bring on high) for that furnace is preferred but you probably don't have enough wires going to the t-stat to do it.

Have you tried resetting the power to the existing stat? Remove from base and remove the batteries for 1 minute.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 4 wires R,W,Y,G and a jumper between R and RC.

these 2-stage Honeywell's are not smart thermostats? we have got by without that for years, still seems nice.

the place that installed the furnace would use and Echobee or the Bryant one ($$)

Thank you!

·
Registered
16,562 Posts
Some 2-stage honeywells as well as others are wifi - you pay more for that feature and would need a C wire or adapter - adapter is an extra failure point.

With your wiring, even a 2-stage stat would just turn the furnace on and off and the furnace control board would time on the second stage. (search this board to learn the difference)

To bring on high heat only when it is needed, based on temperature, you would need a W2 wire.

Sometimes, it's easy to pull another wire, other times, not practical.

Simplest is to get just a battery powered retail honeywell and use the same wiring.
Many retail honeywells now do have the W2 connection, and you can deal with that later on if desired.

For pro grade honeywell - you would have to order online and you can't warranty it yourself, have go through contractor.

·
Registered
15,465 Posts
Some 2-stage honeywells as well as others are wifi - you pay more for that feature and would need a C wire or adapter - adapter is an extra failure point.

With your wiring, even a 2-stage stat would just turn the furnace on and off and the furnace control board would time on the second stage. (search this board to learn the difference)

To bring on high heat only when it is needed, based on temperature, you would need a W2 wire.

Sometimes, it's easy to pull another wire, other times, not practical.

Simplest is to get just a battery powered retail honeywell and use the same wiring.
Many retail honeywells now do have the W2 connection, and you can deal with that later on if desired.

For pro grade honeywell - you would have to order online and you can't warranty it yourself, have go through contractor.
OP has no AC, use the Y wire for W². G as common if required.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The company that installed the furnace recommended a Bryant Thermostat.

their app hasn't been updated since 2017, wonder if this is worth all the $$$ they want.

leaning toward them doing it, less expensive they would go Ecobee.

·
Registered
16,562 Posts
The company that installed the furnace recommended a Bryant Thermostat.

their app hasn't been updated since 2017, wonder if this is worth all the $$$ they want.

leaning toward them doing it, less expensive they would go Ecobee.
No, you don't need a bryant thermostat.

The ecobee is quite expensive.

I recommend a regular battery powered honeywell non-wifi 2-stage thermostat, moving the Y wire on both ends to W2 and disabling the board's staging timer (it's a switch), setting up the thermostat for 2-stages of heat and no cooling.
This setup only needs 4 wires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts