DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need to replace vapor barrier and Mold ( clean, disinfect, protect) the wood) remediation.

Q1) Which one should I do first?

Q2) Should I Pin the barrier down or tape it? Some folks are very picky and say the holes around the nail would pass the gas and vapor through it.

Q3) does the color of the vapor barrier important black vs transparent?

I appreciate your responses and time in advance.

·
retired framer
60,106 Posts
You would do what ever to the wood first. Have you figured why you have mold?
Staple are fine for hanging it, seams should be taped and it should be sealed to the bottom plate Sealing around electrical fixtures can be tricky.

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
Hard to give advice with just the state you live in. Newer guidance only recommends a VB in the deep south or far north. Where is this mold, floor, ceiling, or walls?

How old is the house and what led you to discover this issue? Does this problem exist in other areas?

Bud

Reactions: chikitin

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hard to give advice with just the state you live in. Newer guidance only recommends a VB in the deep south or far north. Where is this mold, floor, ceiling, or walls?

How old is the house and what led you to discover this issue? Does this problem exist in other areas?

Bud
Thank you for the response.

I live near Fayetteville, NC ( in central). Two companies told me I don't have mold. But I read online that " The dehumidifier needs time to lower the humidity and wood moisture levels before you address any mold and doing any other repairs." This made me go see crawl space, I saw water standing. I collected the water with temp pomp, fixed the gutters seals the downspouts, now after two heavy rains no water is there.

The house is built in 2006. I saw flying ants coming out of a hole in my bathroom. Three termite companies came by said I don't have termite or bug issues. I put chemical through the hole and seal it and reopen it they are gone. I suspect the ants were coming from inside the house to the hole and note vice versa. 4 of the insulation are fell down. You may see them in my album or I can share it. Not its time to fix inside.

My house is kind lower than the house on my right side. I am in the col-de-sac.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
Have to be honest and have significant experience with ants, yours are not gone. The swarm is a seasonal happening that sends out hundreds of ants to mate and start new colonies. With no action they disappear in a day or so and people think they are gone. Termites do the same and when swarming you get to identify which you have.

Hopefully you have stopped the water but that is only half of a moisture problem, thus the vapor barrier on the floor of the CS. But moisture travels vertically up your foundation, poured concrete or blocks and will evaporate to the inside above that 4" lip. Going higher would be better, but covering the inside with a layer of rigid insulation best. In your climate the insulation can wait until you evaluate the improvement from the VB.

The album on the forum was empty.

Bud

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.