DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replace Switched Outlet with Unswitched

452 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  andrewlowe3
I am replacing an old switched outlet with an outlet with 2 USB ports and I don't want it switched. Currently I have 1 black wire, 1 red and one white. Can someone tell me how I wire the new outlet without it being switched

Picture below

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Either the red or the black is switched, try one and then the other. And cap the one you won't be using. If one of them does not have constant power you will have to change wiring at the switch.
Either the red or the black is switched, try one and then the other. And cap the one you won't be using. If one of them does not have constant power you will have to change wiring at the switch.
Thanks. Just corrected the wire colors but I assume the answer is the same

When you say "try one then the other" do you mean test with a multimeter and see which is hot when it is switched?
Thanks. Just corrected the wire colors but I assume the answer is the same

When you say "try one then the other" do you mean test with a multimeter and see which is hot when it is switched?
Yes, usually the outlet is only have switched. The other is constant on.
On your new receptacle, don't use the backstabbed connections. They are prone to failure and you will thank yourself in future years.
Reactions: 1
Yes, usually the outlet is only have switched. The other is constant on.
Great. All working. Thanks a lot for your help :smile:
Reactions: 1
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.