DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a decorative corbel (rafter? not sure name) on my craftsman bungalow...the entire end of it is termite and water rot. I was going to epoxy fill, but seems like a pain in the ass and waste of money. Could I just buy a 2' piece of 4x6, create a STEP at both ends, screw it into facia, and replace it?

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its 2.5' from fascia to the clapboards/main house...I will try and peek into attic and see if that is a 'beam'. That being said, the termite damage has eroded into the board away from fascia, so its not 'supporting' it anyway and hasn't been for a while.

Repair or 'sister' in a replacement?

·
retired framer
60,196 Posts
Its 2.5' from fascia to the clapboards/main house...I will try and peek into attic and see if that is a 'beam'. That being said, the termite damage has eroded into the board away from fascia, so its not 'supporting' it anyway and hasn't been for a while.

Repair or 'sister' in a replacement?
I think 12 or 15 inch is max overhang with out extra support, you would be able to the see the extra support from inside if i is there besides the beam.

In the picture you can see the 2x4s running thru the top of the gable and tied to the next rafter or truss. If you have that then the beam would be just decoration.

·
retired framer
60,196 Posts
Thank you...if you can tell in the pic, they are the small dark green posts... this is just ONE post/corbel, there is not a series of them, just one on the front right of house and left...I think solely decorative. Gonna look in attic tomm.
The corbel or beam is below the attic level so if they are beams they will be built into the top of the side wall.

Much like they have done here.

·
retired framer
60,196 Posts
Thank you...if you can tell in the pic, they are the small dark green posts... this is just ONE post/corbel, there is not a series of them, just one on the front right of house and left...I think solely decorative. Gonna look in attic tomm.
I don't agree but you do have other beams there, you might do something with one of those.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't agree but you do have other beams there, you might do something with one of those.
If that 'beam' is structural, it was only ever meant to be holding up the fascia board-of which has not had any contact for YEARS due to the termite and rot. Fascia is attached to all the other roof boards.

If I epoxy repair it, the termite damage goes in about 14", I feel like I will need SO much filler/epoxy, and the time to do it vs stepping in a new 4x6 to a saw'd off stub. I assume replacing would be cheaper and quicker?

·
retired framer
60,196 Posts
If that 'beam' is structural, it was only ever meant to be holding up the fascia board-of which has not had any contact for YEARS due to the termite and rot. Fascia is attached to all the other roof boards.

If I epoxy repair it, the termite damage goes in about 14", I feel like I will need SO much filler/epoxy, and the time to do it vs stepping in a new 4x6 to a saw'd off stub. I assume replacing would be cheaper and quicker?
It looks to be about 6x6, what would happen if you just removed the top 2 1/2" repair damage below that and add new to make it look the same?

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
That patio roof may be a clue. It looks like a sill holding up the rafters. Also confirming if gable facia is tied with eave facia, if there is eave facia or open, or if the photo facia is independent. If low slope roof and no attic, I think what you want to do makes sense and least intrusive.

You can cut out the rotted part with oscillating saw, glue in a piece, wood filler, sand, paint and I would add metal flashing cap on top and the end grain. Also try to find out how termite got there. Flying or underground?
Nice house. Wish there were more of the classics in nj.:smile:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That patio roof may be a clue. It looks like a sill holding up the rafters. Also confirming if gable facia is tied with eave facia, if there is eave facia or open, or if the photo facia is independent. If low slope roof and no attic, I think what you want to do makes sense and least intrusive.

You can cut out the rotted part with oscillating saw, glue in a piece, wood filler, sand, paint and I would add metal flashing cap on top and the end grain. Also try to find out how termite got there. Flying or underground?
Nice house. Wish there were more of the classics in nj.:smile:
The patio big rafters/corbels are decorative, I can see they dont go INTO the patio, where as the main house ones, it looks like they go INTO the house.
So, I started cleaning it out but its a friggin mess in there, someone put some old filler (looks like caulk), the termite dust, etc....I can't get it that clean-how crucial is epoxy method to having a clean surface? its also hard to get in there. There is ZERO support going on with the fascia, as much rot has occured. I think I would have been done by now replacing it with a step piece, but my wife is adamant about 'repairing' it haha, she thinks the house will fall down if I cut off the old piece.

Thanks for the comment, this house is 98 yrs old, a lot of original stuff in and out, we love it, but needs paint which is how we discovered the rafter.

·
retired framer
60,196 Posts
The patio big rafters/corbels are decorative, I can see they dont go INTO the patio, where as the main house ones, it looks like they go INTO the house.
So, I started cleaning it out but its a friggin mess in there, someone put some old filler (looks like caulk), the termite dust, etc....I can't get it that clean-how crucial is epoxy method to having a clean surface? its also hard to get in there. There is ZERO support going on with the fascia, as much rot has occured. I think I would have been done by now replacing it with a step piece, but my wife is adamant about 'repairing' it haha, she thinks the house will fall down if I cut off the old piece.

Thanks for the comment, this house is 98 yrs old, a lot of original stuff in and out, we love it, but needs paint which is how we discovered the rafter.
If you cut it off you can buy angle braces to replace it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.