DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
Joe, from what the OP has said, I gather the light won't work without the zipcord.
Justin, no, you can't just cap the zipcord. You need to get rid of it, and replace it with the proper cable, if you want it to be safe. I'd check that light above the sink and maybe the switchbox that controls that light. Might be in some other outlet nearby too. Hopefully its not a 'flying joint' above the ceiling.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
uh oh. what is a flying joint?

why would it be regular wire up in the ceiling box but ripcord in the switch box? could they be spliced?

i don't see how i can do any rewiring without drywall work?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok ripcord all disconnected and all lights and outlets seem to function as normal. So weird.

So why would it spark when I connected one side if the rip cord to the black and the other to the ganged whites?

So can I cap and tape the rip cord and leave it in there?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,875 Posts
I have seen abandoned wires that were tied together so if the power was ever restored, the breaker would trip.
Tha may be what happened with the zip cord.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If it was abandoned why do you think it was still connected to one of the blacks when I pulled it out?

Also I turned on all the switches I could find and tested the rip cord with a no contact tester and it appears dead.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just found the answer. There is an old under cabinet light mounting literature and now I see a hole where they fed the cord through. Looks like they were having an under counter light turn on at the same time as the overhead.

Thank you all so much for helping me figure this out!

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
Good to hear you got it figured out.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts