DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Can I replace a junction box with a short series of reducers and wyes?

We had our HVAC installed a few years ago before ripping out our obsolete oil boiler system. We're now updating our basement - the new HVAC was sized/vented for an eventually complete basement but, at the time, the nature of the walls and accessible ceilings led the installers to do this big junction box with ducts running out of it (the big vent comes down from the attic where the bulk of the system is located). I don't need to adjust the number of vents - but I do need to re-orient this bit since it hangs down into the middle of a future hallway. Any red flags in terms of replacing the box? I could just do another box but that actually seems more complicated to this DIYer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bitters said:
Are you getting good airflow out of that. I know the installers didn't have much room, but thats just wrong. What is on the other side of the wall?
Hard to say in a currently un-insulated basement (will be insulated in about three weeks). The basement runs perpetually 10-15 degrees colder but it's hard to baseline whether the heat is lost or whether it ever actually does anything. On the long hidden side, there's just a rectangle cut in the junction box. An inch away from that, there's a vent cover on a soon-to-be-destroyed wall.

The setup never struck me as elegant or effective but perhaps I placed an over abundance of trust in that crew.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. Here's actually as of last night from the other direction. (Plastic up temporarily to shield a majority of the dust from moving into the adjacent room.)

·
Registered
259 Posts
This is your basement I assume since I see water lines on ceiling, Just wondering why would they put the air handler in attic and run it to the basement then run duct out to the rooms. The duct needs to be sized according to the size of hp requirements and air flow, duct work for sizes of room and loads in each room need

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.