DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thing Im considering is replacing the drop tile t grid ceiling in the bathroom. There's very little clearance in my opinion to frame a full ceiling due to AC vents running above the current tiles and I'd hate to drop the ceiling any more than it is? Any recommendations

·
Naildriver
10,658 Posts
T grid ceilings have a propensity to rust in a bathroom setting. Maybe you could post a picture or two of the existing ceiling or the ductwork (preferably both) so we can see what you see. What is the height to the existing ceiling tiles? How wide/long is your bathroom?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i hope this is a good pic. im at work but i took this a while back.

This was before
Florescent

This is now
LED w/above shot

drop tile starts approx 7+ feet up and entire bath is 5x7

the t grid itself seems to held up thru the years. The previous owner removed the transluscent tiles in the in another smaller bath and replaced with drywall. I did the same here in this but in shorter spans because i was afraid of sagging if they were too long lengthwise without being secured to an actual frame. But ive come to regret the look and if anything just want to spruce it up

·
Naildriver
10,658 Posts
It doesn't appear to as bad as I had envisioned. Thanks for the pictures. Oh, gosh, those translucent panels have to go. So 70's. I would also plan on some recessed lighting to replace the fluorescents with. They are easy to install and we can walk you through it. Once you decide on lighting placement, put 2' grid pieces to where you have 2' x 2' grids. Easier to install smaller panels. Then it is a matter of finding the tiles you like. I don't think you will be able to gain any height since you need 3" of space above the grids to place the tiles. Anyway, your wall angles are already in and possibly level, so that is a good starting point.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Look at the USG drywall suspended ceiling system.
The only down side is it's more permanent than a dropped panel ceiling.
If you will need access for anything that area will require an access hatch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts