DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been in the 90s for a week or two and looks like another week to go at least.
Our conventional (gas heat; a/c) York system is going on 11 years this December and I'm thinking it may soon be due for something to go wrong on one of these hot/humid days. I'm thinking to replace the cap and contactor as they are most likely bits to fail.
Any thoughts?
If yes, suggested sources on-line?

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Contactors very rarely fail but if you want to get a spare then go ahead. They are not very expensive. Capacitors do fail and it is a good idea to have a spare.

supplyhouse.com is good.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/

You need to know the rating of the contactor in amps plus get the specs off the capacitor as they are rated in various sizes in microfarads. Anywhere from 15-45 mfd and there is a VAC rating also.

That should be on the capacitor and the contactor I would just buy a 30 amp one even if you have a 20 amp as the 30 is heavier duty and almost the same price.

If you have a 4 or 5 ton AC you may need a larger than 30 amp contactor so try get the specs off it.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Manual indicates it (ycjf 42s41s1a) needs a 45/5 MFD Round Run Capacitor (440V), part #: S1-024-25120-700.
Prices are all over the place on these: $29 to $42 from HVAC houses, but most are out of stock.
Amazon goes from $9.50 to $22. Is ClimaTek, Packard, or Genteq any good? One better than another?
I appreciate the help!

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Genteq is made by GE and they make high quality ECM motors so I would buy that one.

The rest are cheap asian ones and don't last as long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.