DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm looking at replacing a run of 14-2 to 14-3 Romex. I have an understanding of the work inside each box; however, for the mounting of the wiring, I cannot find the required mounting of the cable. What does the code say in terms of stapling and mounting new cabling inside existing drywall (e.g. will I have to rip out a large portion of drywall)? It is ok if I do, I just want to do it right, have it inspected, and pass. What I would like to know is if the NEC says something in this respect, what are the keywords I can use to further find my state and local code too?

Thank you in Advance!

David

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
If you are pulling a new cable inside an existing, closed wall, then you don't need to secure it within the wall.

This is covered in NEC 334.30 (B).

(B) Unsupported Cables. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be permitted to be unsupported where the cable:
(1) Is fished between access points through concealed spaces in finished buildings or structures and supporting is impracticable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.