DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

New to the chatroom but I feel this is the best for getting some much needed help. Bought my 1970 Ranch in Summer of 2018. Did a lot of remodeling. In Summer of 2019 my wife and I remodeled the master bathroom. Since it has been completed we have had repetitive screw popping on the ceiling above the shower. Not sure what's causing it fixed it once and noticed some light cracking around some of the screw spots meaning they are about to crown.

A little bit of background:

Standard walk-in shower no tub. Had a soffit above the shower that we removed. Braced the new opening with 2x4s and ran 2 new joists offset from center with brackets (picture included) that I then used to attach the new shower light too. We installed the drywall after the light was in place to make sure it was lined up properly.

I included a picture to help.

When I first noticed the issue I thought it was from my father in law being a little over zealous during drywall install since the light was pushing against the drywall. I cut the open a little larger so the metal rim of the light rested against the drywall opening and then I caulked it to keep moisture out.

I fixed this issue in early Spring this year and noticed it again recently.

I plan to do the same technique as last time remove the popped screws and screw in new screws in front and behind the hole about 2" away. I did this the last time too on the few I noticed. One that I did fix is a part of the problem again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Screw pops are a pretty common occurrence. Wet lumber as Neal mentioned above being a prime culprit. Also, if you have trusses it's not unusual for them to shrink up during the dry winter months. They could be pulling up ever so slightly on your bathroom ceiling work causing the screws to pop. Try a find threaded screw. Put one screw above the popped screw and one below it. Then back the old screw out and redo your mud work. That's about all you can do unless you want to get into tearing it all out and starting over.

Also, review how you did your screws. Did you over tighten them and they pushed through the paper facing of the drywall? You just want the screw to barely sink below the surface of the paper. Any deeper and the screw really isn't holding the drywall in place as it should.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Nealtw yes that is a light fixture in the shower. It is wet rated.

Everyone, sorry to clarify I am bad with proper terms I ran 2 new 2x4s perpendicular between the existing joists in the ceiling above the shower. I didn't think about the new wood drying out and that could be why we are getting some shrinkage and popping. I did add additional insulation in the attic above this area and caulked around the shower light fixture cover which is a self contained LED fixture.

I do have a drywall screwdriver that I might use instead on this repair.

Thanks again for the input!

If you need anything else clarified let me know!

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Maybe used regular drywall instead of moisture resistant, and could have spotted those nails/screws with setting compound. Maybe they were overdriven or maybe the moisture in the shower is just too much for them. If attic is cold or under insulated that would increase condensation on the fasteners.

·
Hammered Thumb
4,011 Posts
Provide clarification on the perpendicular 2x4's and existing roof construction. If the ceiling joists were 16"o.c., there should be no need for additional perpendicular framing at the center of the shower because the drywall will hit 2 or 3 joists (probably 2x6 or 2x8). If the ceiling joists were 24"o.c. (and you matched the size with your 2x4s) then they are probably roof trusses and the drywall only hit 1 and thus you needed some perpendicular blocks. So, if they are trusses, the bottom chord can uplift, causing screw pops.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.