DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got my hands on this 48" lawn roller where it was left full of water over the winter which expanded, splitting the seam open as per the attached pics. I plan to try to bend this back into shape after heating it with a torch and then weld the seam shut.

Has anyone had to do a similar repair... I believe I will also need to wrap a chain or heavy duty strap around the roller at the widest spot and tighten it gradually to pull the seam closed.

Please share any ideas / thoughts on best way to repair this.

·
Super Moderator
22,990 Posts
Since I don't have a heat source, I would beat as much as I could then chain or ratchet strap it closed as much as I could. As the seam closed I would start stiching it together at the end working towards the middle with more beating and chaining.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
A heavy-duty ratchet strap will probably work to pull it together. I would not use chain, due to the pressure points that may cause local buckling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for the tips.. I also had another one about welding on two "weld dogs" on either side of the seam and using a C-Clamp to pull the seem together. I will post a follow-up with what actually worked best after I get some time to work on this!

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Your on the right track. The "weld dogs", chain or strap will work.
Just tack it first then come back.
If you wind up with a strap, keep it soaked.
And measure.....measure.....measure.
Would you consider a metal band that you could put around the drum and tap it along as you weld?
You will still need a strap but the band would keep the diameter consistent.
And of course you may have to cut it off when finished.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts