DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find the best product to fill in rotten exterior wood. The biggest hole I have to patch is about 2" in diameter, and the rest of the post is fairly solid. I realize that it's not a long term solution, but our house is 110 years old, and replacing the posts entirely is not possible right now.

Problem is I have to be able to put screws into the repaired wood, because it's where the railing is attached. I'm not so concerned about the strength of this railing, as the main top rail is firmly attached and intact, and the rot is not everywhere, just in a few places. Is there such a product? Would Bondo work?

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
I have used a Minwax product specifically designed to strengthen rotten wood (available at big box stores in the paint section), also used a product called Get Rot. Both strengthen the wood, but do not restore the wood to original condition. Probably not going to make it possible to install a screw, but these products should stop further rotting.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Epoxy is the way to go on exterior wood repairs that become stronger than the original substrate. Have to kill off the rot first...plus if you don't know what you're doing, you can screw it up big time. However, epoxy repair is meant for non-structura repairs and the bit about your railing scares me a bit.

Bondo isn't a good choice for exterior wood; it'll fall out.

·
Not so new
968 Posts
I am trying to find the best product to fill in rotten exterior wood. The biggest hole I have to patch is about 2" in diameter, and the rest of the post is fairly solid. I realize that it's not a long term solution, but our house is 110 years old, and replacing the posts entirely is not possible right now.

Problem is I have to be able to put screws into the repaired wood, because it's where the railing is attached. I'm not so concerned about the strength of this railing, as the main top rail is firmly attached and intact, and the rot is not everywhere, just in a few places. Is there such a product? Would Bondo work?

How about a dutchman?

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
I have used the wood restoration system from Abatron for this sort of thing for ages. It is epoxy resin based. You dig out as much of the rot as you can and treat with a liquid that hardens the remaining wood. Then fill with a putty like substance.

www.abatron.com

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
You'll get different answeres form people all over the country, and most of these will be good. Actually "Bondo" does make a wood repair material which is much like the "Bondo" some of us are familiar with used on automobiles. I have used the Bondo Wood Repair on several occasions and have found it to be a good product. I have also been able to drill and install screws into this product once it cures properly. The shear strenght is much stronger than the "pull strength".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts