DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
Need a picture or at least some more info.
What type vent, yes we know it's a ridge vent but there's lots of different types.
Shingled roof, metal ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am repairing a ridge vent on a shingled roof that most of the old nails have backed out on the ridge vent..I am using a tube of all weather Black Jack roof cement and 10×1 self piercing sheeter screws with rubber seal and are flat under the screw head

Attachments

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,660 Posts
I would pull the nail, blackjack the hole from underneath the metal and above it. Run your sheeter near the hole but don't use it. Find a spot where the metal is not rusted.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am working on a lean budget so i have to work with what i have..This is my neighbors old house and i am trying to help him

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
repairing old ridge vent on a shingled roof

I would pull the nail, blackjack the hole from underneath the metal and above it. Run your sheeter near the hole but don't use it. Find a spot where the metal is not rusted.
best answer:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am working on a lean budget so i have to work with what i have..This is my neighbors old house and i am trying to help him
Use a urethane based caulking instead of blackjack, and new screws every 12 inches.
I told my friend to pick the urethane tube up and he bought the cheapest but i hope it works for a while

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going to Lowes and purchase a new Roof ridge vent and i am also looking at Ridge vents that are made for shingled roofs

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am roofing a small porch roof and I'm wondering if i should apply a small line of tar on the bottom of each row of tar paper,it is my first time roofing..

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,660 Posts
Does the porch roof transition into the house roof?
Is the porch heated?

If yes to either it may be better to run ice and water over the entire roof.

Can you post a pic or give us some more info

what is the pitch?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does the porch roof transition into the house roof?
Is the porch heated?

If yes to either it may be better to run ice and water over the entire roof.

Can you post a pic or give us some more info

what is the pitch?
I finally figured it out, lol my friend help me with the starter row on the shingles and i did not use any sealants for the tar paper

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
Really bad idea to add a new post with a totaly different question to someone else's post on any DIY web site.
Just gets to confusing trying to figure how hows talking to who.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Really bad idea to add a new post with a totaly different question to someone else's post on any DIY web site.
Just gets to confusing trying to figure how hows talking to who.
I know, i messed up but im trying hard to figure this on my mobile sorry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts