DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New to the forum (and new homeowner), so looking forward to learning a lot and getting some great tips!

I'm in the final stage of finishing a fairly substantial renovation of my new house. We went with site-finished hardwood throughout the home (which turned out amazing!). The issue is that the plumber left some very substantial scratches when moving the fridge. My flooring guy was nervous about doing a localized repair, as he claimed it's difficult to get the colour to match. With that said, he did feather out the scratches and re-stain (and topcoat) the areas affected (using the identical stain as the rest of the floor). After a couple days the colour is still noticeably different (we went with a light grey throughout). Does anyone else have experience with these types of touch-ups? Any tips? Typically how long does it take for the colour to penetrate / Amber?

Look forward to the assistance. Thank you.

Mark

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Your floor guy was correct--it is almost impossible to do a small touch up on a stained floor and have it blend in perfectly.

I suggest you learn to like it or have the entire floor sanded and refinished.

Sorry----------

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Mike is correct but with a couple pics to estimate the damage we may be able to give some better assistance.The damage probably compressed the grain in the wood so it will not take the stain as the rest of the floor has.There are some techniques to fix this but I would need pics to recommend one.

·
Registered
413 Posts
One way I have been able to blend in this sort of stuff if by making a tint that is a perfect match to the floor stain with dye. I prefer mixol or transient brand. Then I'll add the dye to a universal sealer (alcohol based) such as Parks pro finisher. Buff all of the floors, apply the tinted sealer to all of the floors, and then add another coat of poly or water finish to the top of that. This will lock in the color and almost always blend it. But you must do a ton of test samples. The test samples will need to be finished just as the floors are and then done with various ratios over that. Since you have grey, you can likely dial it in with grey transtint powder or white and black dye mixed to the right ratio. Applying the sealer is easy, getting the color right is not. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
I hope you gave that plumber all hell.

Did he not put down some plywood or other protection over the new floor?

Or maybe it was the flooring guy's responsibility to cover the floor until all the work was finished?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
We had to have some areas of our floor touched up during a kitchen remodel and they guy matched the stain so that you couldn't tell where the touch up was. It took him a lot of test tints on scrap to get the match just right but it looks great.
He had a kit with different tints/dyes, etc. He had been staining floors and hardwoods for over 45 years, and seem to know all of the little tricks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.