DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some creative solutions to repair the hose on by steam cleaner.

The brand is Hoover Steamvac widepath 6500, model: F6028-900.

Photos of the defective part can be seen at: https://goo.gl/photos/3EVRoZQvjaPH6wVY9

The problem is with the hose pulled away from the plastic molded coupling. This is the hose that carried the dirty water back to the unit, so it needs to be water-tight.

I have tried splitting the black connector to trim the hose and re-install it, but it appears to be molded as a single unit and will not split.

Anyone have any ideas how to repair this? The unit is older, so trying to find a replacement hose is difficult and expensive.

Thanks,
Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some creative solutions to repair the hose on by steam cleaner.

The brand is Hoover Steamvac widepath 6500, model: F6028-900.

Photos of the defective part can be seen at: https://goo.gl/photos/3EVRoZQvjaPH6wVY9

The problem is with the hose pulled away from the plastic molded coupling. This is the hose that carried the dirty water back to the unit, so it needs to be water-tight.

I have tried splitting the black connector to trim the hose and re-install it, but it appears to be molded as a single unit and will not split.

Anyone have any ideas how to repair this? The unit is older, so trying to find a replacement hose is difficult and expensive.

Thanks,
Rob
can that skinnier tube be removed and trimmed? try heating the black plastic with a small propane torch CARFULY!! and then when it softens up pry out the old hose, trim the end of the hose end going back to the machine and heat again and try to push hose into the black end..if all that fails, I would cut that black piece in half in the direction of cutting the hose in half, then epoxy the whole thing back together..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some creative solutions to repair the hose on by steam cleaner.

The brand is Hoover Steamvac widepath 6500, model: F6028-900.

Photos of the defective part can be seen at: https://goo.gl/photos/3EVRoZQvjaPH6wVY9

The problem is with the hose pulled away from the plastic molded coupling. This is the hose that carried the dirty water back to the unit, so it needs to be water-tight.

I have tried splitting the black connector to trim the hose and re-install it, but it appears to be molded as a single unit and will not split.

Anyone have any ideas how to repair this? The unit is older, so trying to find a replacement hose is difficult and expensive.

Thanks,
Rob
I'd be a little leery about heating up the plastic. It would create some nasty fumes. I'm not an expert in this, but I would think something like this might work -> http://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-2-8-oz-Silicone-Aquarium-Sealant-00688/100128841. It looks very safe and can withstand heat too. I'd consider cutting off the excess hose and using that stuff to put it together.

-TheSrProgrammer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. It got me thinking more on methods to fix this. I ended up taking the Dremmel cutting tool and scored both sides of the plastic fitting to cut it in half (I didn't have a propane torch, not that I wouldn't have a problem buying one to "justify" the repair :smile:). The ease with which the plastic melted during cutting, I would be concerned with even more heat than the Dremmel caused. After cutting in half, I took a file to smooth out the plastic at the cut. I dry fitted the outer tube to the fitting and figured I could trim about 3 inches off the inner tube. I didn't pull it out of the end, but instead cut it in the middle and spliced it with a soaker hose plastic splice piece. I had to heat (my lamp gets really hot) the inner tube as it was very hard with age, but it fit onto the splice piece. The splice orifice is smaller than the inner tube, but hopefully it won't increase the pressure significantly. At this point I am thinking 2 hose clamps to keep this plastic from separating during use (I wanted something that I could get to the tubing in case this outer tubing ripped again, which apparently is common with these units...poorly designed). If the hose clamps don't wont I will try the epoxy or silicone sealant that were recommended.

Thanks again to WhatRnsdownhill and TheSrProgrammer for your help.

Rob
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top