DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have a wall that someone did a lousy drywall job on. So, apparently, someone tried to hide it with a lously spackling job. They spackled over the wall in lots of places to try to make it look better, I guess, but it probably made it look even worse. Now there is lumpy spackle all over, which has been painted over. Any suggestions for the best solution? Should I scrape and sand, and then spackle any small holes, and then just finish with a skim-coat of compound for the whole wall to make it all smooth and even? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, and follow-up question

Thanks. I've never really skim-coated before, and I see that there are different kinds of compounds. I guess different types for 1st coat, 2nd coat, etc? Can you recommend which I need for the job I described?

·
Registered
95 Posts
dlc3172 said:
Thanks. I've never really skim-coated before, and I see that there are different kinds of compounds. I guess different types for 1st coat, 2nd coat, etc? Can you recommend which I need for the job I described?
If your going to skim the entire wall, I recommend using the light weight compound that comes in the boxes. I usually thin it down a bit with water just to get a smoother easier to work with compound. Just dump the box of mud in a five gallon bucket, get a drill with a mixing paddle and slowly mix in water until it thins down a bit. It makes floating the walls a lot easier.

·
Drywall contractor
2,151 Posts
I'd recommend regular ready mix if you're going to "glaze coat" the entire surface. The lightweight is too "soft" and will scratch/ding more easily. Some swear by it, but I don't use or recommend it...

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
bjbatlanta said:
I'd recommend regular ready mix if you're going to "glaze coat" the entire surface. The lightweight is too "soft" and will scratch/ding more easily. Some swear by it, but I don't use or recommend it...
:yes: :yes: :yes:

I'm only a DIYer, but I've now done a ton of skim coating in my house. The ready mix does NOT dry hard enough for wide application, especially in high traffic areas you'll see dents/dings/scratches. It also seems more likely to develop micro-fine air bubbles that leave a porous feeling/looking surface.

The stuff in the bag isn't that difficult to use and gets a noticeably better result.

If you're doing a large area, it's cheaper too! :thumbsup:

·
Drywall contractor
2,151 Posts
Agreed the setting type compound is the "hardest" and I personally would use it for the first coat, but I'd use ready mix for the final "tight" skim. Ready mix is often the easiest for the DIY'er and regular is better than lightweight.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
sheetrock 45 baby.. or if your quick durabond 5 ! have fun gettin muddy.. and when you float use the body of the blade not just the edge.. kinda rock it..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts