DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm new here and hoping for someone to help me with a suggestion on how to attack this project.

I have a mirrored glass coffee table that is antiqued (the glass basically has black splatters to make it look old), and I have shattered a pane. I have mirrored glass that is not antiqued that I can easily cut to replace the shattered pane. However, I'm struggling to find a way to "antique" this glass to match. Essentially, I think I need to strip off some of the back that is mirrored using something acidic and simply paint these missing spots black. I've tried "Green" Muriatic Acid, but it had no effect.

Design I'd like to replicate:

Mirrored glass panes that I have:

Back of the mirrored glass panes that I have:

Any advice on how to attack this would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a paint or something on the back to protect the silver from air and moisture to stop the silver from tarnishing.
Interesting. All the articles I read had used different types of acids or paint strippers. It seems obvious now, but I had never thought to search for a mirror stripper! It appears that Amy Howard makes an antique mirror stripper that may be exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.