DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to repair a rotted column near my front entrance. It appears to be a 4x4 post with wood veneer around it. As you can see the post is recessed in the brick porch and into the soffit up top. The veneer is pretty rotted down below, but the post itself appears okay if I tap it with a screwdriver (I don't want to rip off the veneer until I'm committed to the project and have a game plan in place).

I'd like to have the project planned out so that I could get it done quickly with the space of a day or two. I know there may be some light masonry involved. I plan on using the original post if it looks intact, as I know they sell Post Veneers that are easily installed. Dealing with that rotted base seems like the tough part. So if anyone has any thoughts on how they would tackle this project it would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Rick

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
You would need to see the actual base of the post to determine a course of action. Pop off the base wrap and check out the post where it sits on the floor.
Seems odd to have the post fall off the edge of the porch. The bottom photo shows marginal support of whatever is resting on it. If the post is not in good shape, I would replace the whole post. If it's just rotted for an inch, you might be able to cut off the rot and install a standoff, bolted to the brick.
What you do depends on what you find behind the base wrap.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,225 Posts
Based on the conditions I see I would replace with a fiberglass/composite post. Not that hard. Jack the roof about 1/2", remove the old, install new, drop the roof onto the post.

·
Registered
37,468 Posts
I have to agree, it was done wrong from the get go.
Never should have been recessed like that.
It's a funnel directing water toward it.
If it was mine the whole post would come out.
Patio redone so the brick ran all the way around the outside.
Simpson Strong post base installed for the post to sit on.
Wrap with a vinyl post wrap.
No more rot or paining.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.