DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear from someone who has attempted the to jack up the floor that is sagging around a fireplace.

The building is a two story cottage built in the early 1900's. There is a good concrete foundation and 18" high crawl space over a dirt floor. There is a fireplace in the center of the cottage with a red brick foundation. The main beam runs the length of the cottage and sits on poured concrete pillars that look servicable. The pillars are spaced about every 10 feet. The main beam also runs along side the fireplace foundation. The center of the cottage sags 2 or 3 inches. I believe the fireplace and pillars have settled over the past 80 - 100 years and hence the sag. I think the weight of the fireplace contributed significantly to the sagging. The hearth trimmer on the side oposite the main bean has also split.

The hearth and floor are even and the brick facade is in good shape.

If I attempt to jack up the main beam I will certainly not lift the fireplace and it's foundation. If I raise the floor two inches to remove the sag, the hearth will now be two inches below the floor - right?

The hearth trimers should "slide" up the chimney foundation - right? They would not be tied to the chimney foundation except maybe with a few nails.

It is very likely the fireplace will be inoperable after raising the floor so I should remove the hearth and mantle and facade and cover the hole.

I would appreciate any input from members who have atempted this.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,461 Posts
Not sure how anyone's going to be of much help with that single close up picture.
Never once seen an old house that had proper footings under the piers, or not have under sized and over spanned floor joist.
You would be far better off having someone on site to look this over and come up with a plan.

Reactions: wmfraser

·
Registered
37,461 Posts
Know way to know without at least seeing it.
2 + "'s is a lot,
When I do it I dig down and pore a new 24" X 24" X at least 8" thick footings with 1/2 rebar in the middle, let it harden for a week then use several 20 bottle jacks with 1/2" steel plates under them and on top of the piston to spread out the load.
Only going to be able to left about 1/4" every few days to lessen the chance of something cracking.
Once it's in place you build new piers on top of the footing with concrete block, any shimming is done with steel plates, not wood.
This is the over simplyfied and subject to change directions, not a works in all cases.
Once that's done your going to be stuck dealing with the now out of square door openings, walls cracking, molding gaps.

Reactions: wmfraser

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh'Mike - I didn't see any pockets or integration of the trimmer to the fireplace foundation. The floor and fireplace hearth have settled together, which I think suggests some level of attachment. I posted pics in my photo album on this site, but they don't show a lot. Would someone comment on what a disaster or worst case scenario is if I begin jacking up the main beam? I can accept having the floor come up and the fireplace not lift. I would just remove the hearth and brick façade and dry wall over the firebox.

·
Master General ReEngineer
10,209 Posts
The floor and fireplace hearth have settled together, which I think suggests some level of attachment.
Ayuh,.... I would guess there's alota attachment, all the way to the roof,....

Is it only this floor that's settled, or is Everything goin' down with the brickwork,..??

I would Guess ya might be able to divorce the floor from the brickwork, 'n lift just the floor,...
But without seein' it, I ain't gonna say ya Can,...

As usual, Joe's plan is along the lines I'd go with too,....

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong (won't be the first time) but I thought this would take several hydraulic jacks placed around so it would all be lifted at the same time. From the amount this has dropped I'm not sure this is a DIY project.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Wmfraser, why not post more pics so someone can give you a better idea of how to deal with your problem? More likely than not, they'll recommend you hire a professional. Some things are just not DIY.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.