DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we had our front door painted by pro painters about 7 years ago with SW Resilience Exterior Acrylic Latex in Satin finish (they picked the paint and sheen, we just asked for a dark blue). The paint is now peeling and flaking off (pictures below).

We want to repaint it - either the same blue or slightly different blue - and I'd like to know the best way to do so to avoid having to repaint in another 7 years.

What do I need to do to prep the door? How do I do that?
What paint should I use? We have Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams stores nearby, as well as Lowes and Home Depot. I'm thinking a semi-gloss finish may look and hold up better?
Anything else I should know?
We're in South Jersey, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Window Blue Wood Fixture Door

Rectangle Wood Fixture Composite material Gas

Fixture Composite material Tints and shades Gas Wood

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What type of paint and what condition/prep was previously on the door?
The paint is Sherwin Williams Resilience Exterior Acrylic Latex in Satin finish. I don't know about the condition / prep involved when it was painted 7 years ago as that was done by a local painting company hired by the general contractor.

·
retired painter
13,624 Posts
I'm assuming that door sees a lot of sun and 7 yrs is a decent amount of time for a door subjected to the elements. A storm door should make the paint job last longer. The brickmold/casing would still need repainting more often.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
scrape and sand it the prime door, I like Zinnser, use a quality paint I like Benjamin Moore. use a mohair 4 inch roller for smooth paint finish
You cant just say 'Zinnser' primer. They have a hundred different ones. For that matter, its the same thing as saying just 'benjamin moore' instead of something like 'Moore-Glo from BM' or something.

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
Gotta agree with Mark. Seven years is pretty good longevity for a door getting lots of weather abuse. Scrape, sand ( a sanding sponge works well on the intricate curved areas) clean up the dust with a shop vac, gently clean off any dirt or oxidation with plain warm water. Prime bare wood with slow drying oil primer and hit it with two topcoats of your favorite paint. Satin is fine, but a semi-gloss would be better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts