DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My mother-in-law wants her deck repainted. My brother-in-law repainted it about 3 years ago, but didn't completely remove the old layer of paint. As you can see in the pictures I have began to scrape the paint up myself but my goodness is it time consuming. Any thoughts on what I can do to make this process go quicker / smoother ? Is scraping the best way to go about it and it just takes time ?

Attachments

·
retired painter
11,332 Posts
Pressure washing will speed up the removal of any loose paint BUT don't get too aggressive or you'll chew up the wood in the process and resulting in the need to sand.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
Buy a good carbide bladed scraper. They are very sharp and you can do damage to the wood if you aren't careful, but, they make quick work of scraping. Then you can use an orbital with 80 grit to feather it out. I would topcoat with 2 coats of solid stain rather than paint. Paint just doesn't work well on horizontal surfaces and paint doesn't hold up well to foot traffic unless it's a porch and floor enamel.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
Also of note, that deck is getting close to the end of its useful life. The wood looks to be "checked" based on the cracks running longitudinally along the deck boards. Just know that no matter how well you prep or how much money you spend on a quality coating, well, in about 2 years it will once again look like it does now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts