DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 500 feet of cedar fence, 6 ft high, the fence is 10 years old but still in good shape. It has been stained / painted twice already. It is peeling in places and the last time I used a semi-transparent oil based stain, a light tan color to match the house.

Should I pressure wash it first and an additive and let it dry out for a week before I paint and what stain/paint should I use? Last time I used ICI/Delux, but was not impressed...it peeled in just 2 years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
semi-transparent stains will typically last 2-3 years, if you want something longer use a solid stain. Sikken Cetol-SRD and Cabots Clear Solutions are good semis. The sikkens only requires one coat, but the cabots has the option for 2 coats. The condition of your fence will dictate how you should prep it. I have no idea about additives, but I would be interested in learning about what you intend to do and why. If you pressure wash, I am assuming you are going to apply a stripper before hand? The first thing I would do would be to try and sand out the stain, to get a fresh surface for staining, with a finishing or palm sander. Maybe post a pic? let me know how it goes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts