DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. so I'm at a point in the basement.. that I can't tackle.. I'm looking for some advice that I might not have been able to figure out.. I'm kind of at a loss on how to cover up this mess.. Anyone out there handy enough to lend some advice on what they would do in order to make this... liveable..

I should also point out.. I didn't make this mess.. just trying to figure out a way that it can be corrected...

Angle 1

Angle 2

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
So you are wanting to fill all of those humongous gaps, right?

Use expanding foam. Once it has cured go back and saw off the protrusions with a steak knife flush to the surface of the wall. Then use some joint compound and joint tape to mud-over the foam. Sand it and paint it.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok.. thats awesome... Great suggestion.. NOW!! to figure out how to smooth over that 2 inch difference between the walls..

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
ok.. thats awesome... Great suggestion.. NOW!! to figure out how to smooth over that 2 inch difference between the walls..
Oh...is that what that is?:)

How about a hokey 1X6 nailed over it and stained or painted?:) Call it a trim or decoration or something.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll clarify.. I've put this in construction as well due to the 2 inch difference between wall depth. I thought both topics would apply.. sorry if I broke a rule

·
Administrator
41,865 Posts
1 topic, 1 thread. Deleted the other thread. No harm done by making a simple mistake.

·
Super Moderator
12,627 Posts
That’s a special kind of ugly for sure. What’s it attached to now, glued to the foundation or what?

I see pulling some sheets to make it right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ugh.. ya, I'm hoping to avoid having to pull anything.. it'll open things up even worse.. the drywall is glued to styrafoam.. and the foam is boarded up against a wooden structure up against the foundation.. basically I have no idea how to make this visibly acceptable until they are able to afford a repair. House built in the 70's and I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the Foam idea to fill the gaps.. just not sure about how to join the two walls..

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
I'll clarify.. I've put this in construction as well due to the 2 inch difference between wall depth. I thought both topics would apply.. sorry if I broke a rule
Nope, no rules broken but the thing is, it's the same people viewing all threads. When a single topic is opened in more than one thread it starts getting real confusing when comments are made in both threads without knowledge of the second thread. No big deal.:)

I'm not sure how well joint compound will want to stick to the foam. So...I would use some spray adhesive to spray the juncture. Then after that adhesive tacks-up apply some mesh seam tape. That way the joint compound won't try to separate from the foam. 3M makes a spray adhesive for use with drywall components.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts