DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a sump pump garage inspection pit, failed some while ago, I do not need the pit which 7 feet deep,12 feet long and 3 feet wide and would like to fill it in.

The pit fills with water every couple of days(even when no rain) and faster when it is raining, the prpoperty is at the top of a hill, so suspect a spring somewhere in the vacinity.

I would like advice on the most cost efficient way to fill the pit / sump area therefore eliminating the need for a pump.

the old sump pump was located in a 2 ft x 1ft hole in the centre of the inspection pit and was resting directly on the soil.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
If you remove the sump pump (or unplug it) but don't fill in the pit yet, how high will the water ever get?

Are there drain pipe ends (or pipe ends from unknown origins) emptying water into the pit?

·
Registered
37,425 Posts
Post a picture please.
Something had to be very wrong if someone went to all that work to make a pit that big.
I'd fear filling it in is going to cause the water to go someplece else you may not want it to.

·
Banned
4,226 Posts
Joe: What I read is that the inspection pit is one that the car mechanic gets into so he can see under the car. As weird as it may seem the sump pit is in the middle of the inspection pit. Maybe I'm wrong

At any rate the sump is obviously doing its job.

·
Registered
37,425 Posts
Now that would make more since.
As high as the water table is around here a pit like that in a garage would be called an inside swiming pool. lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you remove the sump pump (or unplug it) but don't fill in the pit yet, how high will the water ever get?

Are there drain pipe ends (or pipe ends from unknown origins) emptying water into the pit?[/Hi, the water fills the pit to about 6 inches from the top (allot of water). the pump was connected to an outlet pipe, but no water appears to be draining back, water seems to seep through the earth. I currently use a standard Submersible dirty water drain pump when needed, the garage is at the bottom of my garden so no fear of flooding anywhere else "hopefully"]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joe: What I read is that the inspection pit is one that the car mechanic gets into so he can see under the car. As weird as it may seem the sump pit is in the middle of the inspection pit. Maybe I'm wrong

At any rate the sump is obviously doing its job.[/When I purchased the property, I didnt know there was a sump pump as it was concealed by a wooden floor base which deteriorated over time]

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
The sump pit is in the mechanic's pit so as to be at the lowest point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.