DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to all,

Built a 1200sqft wrap-around-L-porch deck in 2002, and resealed 1-2 times after original build. Last time was prob 10 yrs ago.

On the west side, the deck does not receive a lot of sun & rain. The whole deck is covered, but the S side recieves a lot more angled sun and rain, so there's not an issue w the previous sealant being mostly gone.

Yesterday I pressured washed the deck and the pics below indicate sealant that's still on the boards. Is there a product I can spray on to strip old sealant? If not what are the options? I used 5 gal Olympia product that I sprayed on 7-10 yrs ago. I also took pics of some fence railing supports that cleaned up nicely that had no sealant. This is how I want to have the deck boards look before treating them.

Thank you very much
Tstex

Attachments

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A deck stripper, is a chemical made for this.

Just be careful, it is bad for any plantings nearby.

ED

Thanks Ed - do you know if the chemical is bad for foliage burns or can it penetrate soil and is root absorbed - that would be a no go bc I have some strategic trees for blocking the west sun - Looking for something water based that I Can spray on and power wash off - do you have a recommendation? thanks again ED

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not attempting to remove a stain; I'm trying to remove the old previous sealant that had no color / thank you for your input

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have looked at many products and have not found anything that has good ratings. I do know that a deck stripper for paint removes surface material while I need a stipper that penetrates the wood to remove a stain or sealant.

So, does anyone have a product that can remove old sealants? The sealant I used last time was a natural or clear, but have learned that sealant w at least some tint helps to preserve the wood a lot longer, so I will go w a light tint.

thanks for any references to a specific product for stripping an old sealant, preferably water-based and can be dispensed via a pump up sprayer.

Regards, tstex

·
retired painter
9,851 Posts
As SS said normally the weather removes enough to recoat but when it doesn't a deck stripper works well. Not sure there is much difference between brands.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stick and Mark, thanks

if you read the original post, this is a covered deck w an overhang and on the west side where the trees block the majority of the sunlight per day - the pics I posted are on the west side. But yes, on the east side that is exposed to a lot more rain, sun and wind w no tree blockage, that side will only need to be p-washed. I am trying not to guess on deck strippers and rely on the good folks here that has used a product w good results - thank you for your replies - tstex

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here's a perspective pic of the house/ the boards in the first post are on left / west side of the house where you can also see trees - the deck boards are 10ft and the overhang is 12ft - this pic was taken about 10-11 yrs ago - the deck and addition were built in 2002/ thx

Attachments

·
retired painter
9,851 Posts
While I've cleaned/stained countless decks over the yrs I've only occasionally used a deck stripper. I normally just use bleach, sometimes adding TSP and rinse well when done. Your deck is a little different considering you intend to use a toner or translucent stain. While a semi-transparent stain wouldn't likely show the difference between the worn stain and what is still in decent shape - a translucent stain will. While deck strippers don't have a lot of effect on paint you'll still need to use care next to your painted siding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts