DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! We've been trying to figure out how to remove this old doorknob with no luck. Does anyone know how? Thank you for any advice!

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
If there is no set-screw in either knob then try pushing in on the small knob and while pushing in rotate the knob counterclockwise to see if it will release itself from a hidden locking groove in the collar of the knob.

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
Look close on the bottom of the knob and the trim ring for a small rectangular shaped hole. (some have a round hole)
That's where you insert a small screwdriver to release them.
Once the detent has been depressed the knob should pull straight out.

·
Super Moderator
14,478 Posts
Some sets, the escutcheon or backing plate will pop loose and fastening devise will be exposed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! Will give it a try!

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions. I'm going to give them a try and get back to you :)

·
Banned
30,023 Posts
Rome890 said:
That door knob didn't deserve all this abuse, I'm sure. I think I'll try, if possible, to repair some of the damage if I manage to remove it.
If we were all perfect out of the box, we would be boring. You are learning and this is all fixable.

Keep forging ahead good sir or ma'am.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello everyone! Thank you again for all the great advice. Unfortunately, I've been unable to make any strides. There were no holes anywhere where I can slip a small screw driver, and as hard as I tried, I was unable to turn either of the knobs;probably a job for stronger hands. Just an update and definitely not calling it quits.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
You could just cut it off.?
Once it's off you can figure it out in case you have any more. If it's real brass don't forget to put in the brass pile, it all adds up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You could just cut it off.?
Once it's off you can figure it out in case you have any more. If it's real brass don't forget to put in the brass pile, it all adds up.
That would have to be a last resort, Ron. We do have another one so once we figure out how, we'll tackle the other. I never would have thought of keeping a brass pile. Thanks for the suggestion :)

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
That one is different from any old one I've ever seen. That release slot spoken of above is normally only located on one knob shaft.

Somewhere loose in the back of my mind I also seem to recall 2 other release method:
1. had a small slot or hole in the bottom of the plate which exposed a release pin when the plate was slide towards the knob.
2. Some plates just pop off with gently prying.

As old as that looks I would guess at aa third option, that the plate unscrews to expose the release.

Amy of these 3 methods would only work on one side of the door, the other knob is always fixed in place.

Reactions: Rome890

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Everyone from Bud to Colby. We finally removed the knobs with the help of a lot of WD40, perseverance and old fashioned pulling and jimmying. Apparently, the only thing holding the knobs in place was a screw placed inside the middle of the Bakelite knob. It seems that rust secured them in place after removing the screw. I've posting photos of the parts below. We could not find any release mechanisms. Thank you again for all of your help :)

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Yup. That is a hybrid using the old style mortise lock knob with a somewhat modern mechanism. If anyone figures an approximate year I would love to know.

Reactions: Rome890
1 - 15 of 15 Posts