DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Removing Old Self Leveling Compound

10811 6
I want to take up the ceramic tiled flooring in my front hallway and replace it with hardwood flooring.

Here's the big issue: Before laying the ceramic tile 10 years ago, I used self leveling compound to level the floor. What's the best way to remove it? I'll rent a chipping hammer to remove the ceramic tiles. Could this also be used to
break up the hardened leveling compound? Will the old compound break up when hammered? Do I need to chisel it up from underneath? Any other options?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Rob
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Was the self leveling concrete put down to fix a floor that was grossly out of level or just fill in small gaps?

If it was to level the floor , wouldn’t you want the new hardwood to also be level?
Either way if you want it off it should come off the same as the time.
Or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the opinion Dave, but I can't just replace the tiles with hardwood. The hardwood would not be on the same level as the two adjacent rooms. Also, the original floor, beneath the leveling compound, needs to removed as it is not suitable for nailing the hardwood on to.

· Registered
8,898 Posts
Rotary hammers has scraping blade attachment which should work also. Directly chipping could be overkill. Scraping blades are available even for a reciprocating saw. Just depends on how much force your floor system needs. Definitely eye protection and think gloves. Once I damaged my knockle very badly from flying tile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.