DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Just purchased a new home and has a nice natural stone patio outback. It is edged by a row of brick. Not sure that would’ve been my pick for how to finish it but it is what it is. And sloppy work obviously...The issue is there is some mortar or cement smears from where they did that brick masonry work on the natural stone. I’m guessing it’s been there at least a year or two even. Just wondering what people recommend to try to get that off.

There is some extra pieces of the stone in the garage so I know it’s a sand stone called Brontë. Not sure if that’s type of sandstone or brand or whatever but that’s what it’s called. So....should I go to the chemical route or is there some kind of grinding wheel I can use or even like a wire brush tip on the Dremel. I’m just not sure how even if I get the mortar smears up if I use mechanical methods Or wire brush and elbow grease if it is going to mess the stone up? Not sure how forgiving sandstone is.

Couple pictures attached. Of the smears and of the stone itself so you can see it’s kind of textured and not smooth which again makes me wonder how trying to “sand off” the smears is going to end up looking

Advice appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
here's another issue,,, that surface appears to be 'gauged' rather than 'sanded' so matching the texture will be a special issue,,, think an oscillating diamond blade might be your best bet

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks StaDry! Yes, it is textured on the surface so you're right, it wont ever totally match if I scrape as it will likely look lighter than the weathered paver around it that hasn't had the surface scraped...but I think it will look better than now (I hope!). maybe as the scraped areas weather (get dirty) it will blend some...

I have the scraping blade attached that goes on my Milwaukee oscilating tool. is that what you were suggesting?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
yes, grasshopper :vs_clap::thumbup1: & you're right - probably in 5yrs the texture won't be noticeably different,,, YOU will see it but no one else will

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
I will suggest something that I have worked with in the past to remove mortar from tile and brick work. A diluted solution of muriatic acid with a brush. It works very well
BUT it requires goggles, gloves and a lot of care.
The acid can do serious damage to eyes and unprotected skin.
All of that being said....it works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts