DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The garage in the house I just bought was previously used as an extra room and I'm assuming it had tile on the floor. Before it was put on the market the room was demolished turning the garage back into a garage. The only problem is there is a lot of left over mortar still on the cement floor and I was thinking of making a small section of the garage into a nice laundry area. My question is: Is there any type of flooring I can put down that would not require to chip off the old mortar. I'm assuming there isn't and I have to chip away at that mortar. It is just going to take forever. Also, will Linoleum work well on top of cement?

·
Remodeling Contractor
3,590 Posts
You will need to seal the concrete and cover with luan prior to installing linoleum. mortar must be chipped off, but it is soft. It can be softened first using muriatic acid. mix one part acid to 10 parts water. The mortar will dissolve and also neutralize the acid.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Another way to remove mortar is to simply whack it with a hammer. That turns it to powder which can be shop-vacced or swept up.

Some chisel work may still be necessary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts