DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am in an upstairs condo with a mortar or mud bed under all the flooring. I have various squeaks and thumps when I walk around the place and would like to fix that before I tile the bathroom and recarpet the rest. It looks like I would need to remove all the mortar bed and then replace the nails in the subfloor with screws. I believe the mortar bed is there for fireproofing between the upper and lower unit, as well as sound deadening. Is that correct? What happens if I leave the mortar bed out? I am checking with the city to see if code requires it to be there. Finally, what type of contractor would I look for to replace the mortar bed, and is it expensive?

Thanks for any information you can offer.

Alan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reply to Mudd

Thanks for the quick reply. I've been thinking that too - It will be a ton of work and mess to remove the mortar, and no guarantee that will solve the squeaks. I don't think my downstairs neighbor hears that well anyway. Maybe I'll cut to the chase and redo the floors as is. I will check with the Condo Association first anyway. I'm not in a hurry.

Alan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.