DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. We recently purchased a 116 year old farmhouse and one of the things I need to do before winter is insulate the walls. There is no insulation in them right now. So I have an insulation contractor coming to blow cellulose inside the wall cavities.

We determined going in from the outside would be the easiest based on the construction. The exterior of the house is covered in cement board lap siding. I need to remove 2 courses of siding on each floor (below the windows and above), so we can drill into the wall cavities.

My question is how is the best way to remove the siding and nails and how to replace it. I can face nail it back on but you will see all those nails if I do.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Depending on what they nailed it with you will mostly be unable to remove it without destroying it. It tends to break at the nail heads. If they installed it with roofing nails you may be able to work them out.

Face nailed with the proper siding nails you will will never see the nails once it is painted. If it is the colored kind you will and if new boards are needed they most likely won't match the existing ones.

I guess I am saying that drywall or plaster repairs might be easier.

Houses that old often had bracing boards between the studs so you may not wind up with a fully insulated wall.

Reactions: Nealtw
1 - 3 of 3 Posts