DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone offer guidance on the removal of a fan light kit and replacing it with 4 recessed cans.

I understand the basic concepts and precautions of recessed lighting installation, but was wondering if I could get some advice on how to go about connecting the wires (that go to the fan light) in the attic to the new recessed lighting. Will there be a way to identify which is which?

The fan light and the fan on/off are on separate switches.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Could anyone offer guidance on the removal of a fan light kit and replacing it with 4 recessed cans.

I understand the basic concepts and precautions of recessed lighting installation, but was wondering if I could get some advice on how to go about connecting the wires (that go to the fan light) in the attic to the new recessed lighting. Will there be a way to identify which is which?

The fan light and the fan on/off are on separate switches.

Thank you!
Inside of the fan is three wires coming out. Black is usually for the fan motor and blue or another color is for the fan light. Disconnect the fan light from the one wire from the switch. Connected that wire to your black feed to the recessed lights. Connect the white that goes to the recessed lights to the white(s) in the fan box.

Connect all of your grounds together with a wirenut.

You must have enough cubic inch space in the fan box to bring more wires in, otherwise you would need to change to a deeper box.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
and of course I will need to remove the jumpers at the switch?
Are you asking or telling ?

Leave the switch alone.

There are three wires going into the fan with light. You are disconnecting the light wire which is usually blue. You still need the white and black hooked up to the fan so it works. The new cable you bring to your high hats need to hook up white to the white in the fan box and black to which ever wire you removed from the light to the fan.

The switch is still needed to turn in your high hats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all very much for the responses. One final question - what are the chances of overloading the circuit with the additional fixtures? With this in mind, should I just use LED fixtures since they require less ampage? Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
As long as you are just adding 4 cans, there is not a huge risk of overloading no matter what lights you use.

Going with LEDs will most likely be a total wattage reduction. If you use the lights for long periods on a regular basis, LEDs would make sense for energy savings.

I would recommend airtite, insulation contact rated cans, for the same reason.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
encountered scenario not according to the plan: the feed to the fan from the attic has the standard red/black/white. inside the stem/fan are seven wires of different colors.

do i now hook the romex feed to the cans directly to the red/black/white feed? should i forget about this project? thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts