DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
If there's going to be a wood stove there you will still need some form of a hearth.
What's going to protect the finished floor?
A brick chisle and a maul will bust it up by hand.
I'd be using my Bosch Bull Dog hammer drill.
Home Depot rents hammer drills.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why shouldn't I paint the brick?

There is no finished floor. I ripped up the carpet and what remains is asbestos tile. I want to completely remove the brick from the floor and put carpet over it.

Thank you, i'll look into a hammer drill.

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
No ansewers to the questions.
Is there going to be a wood stove there?
If no stove why leave the brick on the wall?
On this and any DIy site there's people asking how to get paint off of painted brick.

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,970 Posts
Hard to tell from the 2 pics, but I assume the wall brick on sitting on the brick floor? If so, I know of no feasible way to remove the lower while retaining the upper, w/o some serious engineering and time.

If that's not the case, I'd look into renting a small demo hammer for the day with a chisel, or even buying a 36" long prybar might do the trick.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Orig poster, answer the question as to whether there is going to be a wood stove in there.

If your answer is no, do whatever you want, no worries.

If your answer is yes, the wood stove manual will give you specific requirements for hearth and other clearances that you m use follow without regard for what anyone here tells you. Ron (not that anyone WOULD tell you anything different but....). Ron

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sorry haha I guess I should have been more specific, other than the fact that I said I want carpet covering it. To answer the question, NO! of course I don't want a stove there!

I'm new to this, this is my first house. We dug up the brick and cleaned it all up with a hammer drill in 30 minutes, done 100%.

I didn't take a picture but will tomorrow. I want to make that area a living area, and I thought it was common to paint the brick like a flat white or black and paint the walls again. Maybe put a TV on the brick wall :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.