DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm remodeling an older basement bathroom and need to remove a shower pan so I can install a tile shower base.

I removed the shower surround and I need to remove the shower pan next. I tried using a pry bar and hammer, with no luck.
The shower pan doesn't appear to be nailed in, and is surrounded by a metal frame.

I attached a couple pictures of the shower pan... Any suggestions? Should I just get a power chipper/demolition hammer and break it up? Should I try to pry it out?
P1010161.jpg
P1010163.jpg
P1010167.jpg

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
That looks solid all right...concrete with marble chips in it, I think. Rent an electric jackhammer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Removing an old concrete shower pan

Until yesterday, I had the same kind of shower pan. Using a fat black marker, I marked off 1-foot square cut lines. Directly crossing through the drain, I marked off additional 6-inch cut lines. Those last two served as stress relief to prevent the pipe below from cracking. I made my cuts with a masonry blade on a circular saw. I cut to a depth of 1 inch. Then I pounded an 11-inch spike with a 3-pound sledge hammer through the cut lines, starting with the outermost cut lines. The chunks of shower pan came out easily and nothing was damaged.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts