DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my townhouse we have hardwood throughout the main level of the three stories, it has some god awful waxy coating on it. When there is humidity it gets a tacky feeling and when water pools on it gets a white hazy look. I attached some photos which show it has a coating on it.

What are suggestions to clean it off the hardwood to bring the wood back to its true look.

The one photo shows a water damaged spot that will likely need to be patched and fixed.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
What you would need is the square orbital sander.

Don't take the wood down to bare wood just make the color even.

Then you can either add more color or just top coat.

Remember, top coat does add a shade darker by itself.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
The video takes me back to sesame street days.:smile::smile:

OP: people want pristine floor but often get into trouble trying to have it. Try a mat over the spot, with a hole cut out for hvac. I found rubber lined felt that works very well as an anchor for small carpets. Amazon.

Even groceries should have floor dewaxer. Try one on a small spot and see how it does. Alcohol prep pads also should work well. Rub and wipe. Read the manual and if using a chemical, always start with half the time on the direction and see what happens. Most likely your floor was waxed but it is also possible that your floor was refinished with shellac. Alcohol also dissolves shellac.

https://www.wikihow.com/Strip-Wax-Buildup-From-Floors

It looks like ammonia works on wax. Try that first. First ammonia then alcohol. Last choice is sanding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts