DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am removing a wall from my vaulted ceiling, currently the double plate runs from the far left wall (see yellow line) to the stud running to the ceiling (right side of picture) (3-2x4s)

The red is the wall I am removing, up to the green line. Leaving a wall (3 ft ish in length) next to the refrigerator.

The questions,

Am I able to just remove an cut, will this be sturdy enough?

If I cant, what options do I have to strengthen this wall.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
If the post on the right is formed of 3-2x4s, it's possible it will be structural.
In that case, I would be inclined to have a look in the roof to see what, if anything, it might be supporting before removing it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The building inspector I had took a look at it an said it wasn't supporting. I have the go ahead to take out the post. Thanks for the info!

Any thoughts on whether or not the wall that remains would be sturdy?

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
Do you have scissor trusses? I guess so, but all I can do is guess. :huh:

Not enough data to make an informed comment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The post on the right is an off center post, and yes I am pretty sure I have scissor trusses.

I cant see any reason to put an off center supporting post, and my inspector agreed.

What info would help in determining if the little wall (green and to the left in the picture) would be stable?

·
"You can do anything"-Mom
724 Posts
If you have already figured out that you can remove that wall and not compromise the structural integrity of the roof then just remove it.

If the wall that you are leaving is not sturdy then lets talk about a solution. No sense hypothesizing about something that may or may not even happen. Good luck. Update with pictures.

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
Yeah, what Brock Said. :thumbsup: You said you have scissor trusses, so you can take out the red x wall, no problem.

·
AHH, SPANS!!!
1,751 Posts
where the door opening is, to the left of it (green line) make the wing wall go full height to the vaulted ceiling. if you demo part of that wall the wing wall floats at the top and needs to go to full ceiling height.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Any thoughts on whether or not the wall that remains would be sturdy?
well that depends on if the wall you're removing is supporting the roof, if it is and you remove it the wall that remains may be damaged by the roof should it collapse. not sure how sturdy it would be then.

there is a reason why that column is at the end of the wall, it may be supporting a beam that is above the opening in that wall, with the beam going all the way to the exterior wall.

your inspector may have said it was not supporting, but how did the inspector determine that? Did he open up the ceiling, or did they just look at it .....

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I am pretty sure I have scissor trusses.
is the slope of the roof on the outside the same as the slope of the ceiling? if so then I doubt you have a scissor truss.

if the roof pitch is about twice that of the ceiling then YOU MAY have a scissor truss.

just don't want to see you have issues. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts